The First Home Guarantee (FHBG) is part of the Home Guarantee Scheme (HGS), an Australian Government initiative to support eligible home buyers purchase a home sooner. It is administered by the Housing Australia on behalf of the Australian Government.
Under the FHBG, part of an eligible home buyer’s home loan from a Participating Lender is guaranteed by Housing Australia. This enables an eligible home buyer to purchase a home with as little as 5% deposit without paying Lenders Mortgage Insurance.
Any Guarantee of a home loan is for up to a maximum amount of 15% of the value of the property (as assessed by the Participating lender). This Guarantee is not a cash payment or a deposit for a home loan.
From 1 July 2023 – 30 June 2024, 35,000 FHBG places are available to eligible home buyers.
To apply for the FHBG, home buyers must be:
- applying as an individual or 2 joint applicants
- an Australian citizen(s) or permanent resident(s)* at the time they enter the loan
- at least 18 years of age
- earning up to $125,000 for individuals or $200,000 for joint applicants, as shown on the Notice of Assessment (issued by the Australian Taxation Office)
- intending to be owner-occupiers of the purchased property
- first home buyers or previous homeowners who haven't owned a property in Australia in the past ten years.
*The Department of Home Affairs classifies New Zealand Citizens as Permanent Residents for the purposes of citizenship applications only. This does not extend outside of this process. To verify your eligibility for the Home Guarantee Scheme, please perform a VEVO check with a participating lender.
Access the Eligibility Tool - a short questionnaire to help home buyers identify which Guarantee/s they may be eligible for.
Ready? We are too!
Let’s get you where you want to go.
We provide many ways you can get in touch with us. Whether call, in person or email, we can work into your busy day as you need.
Book an appointment
Find a time on your calendar and let us know. We’ll call you back and discuss your needs.
Call for instant answers
Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:30pm (AEST/AEDT)
Email your enquiry
Take the time to outline your needs and we’ll take the time to make it happen.